Under Review: First Contact Received
Set automatically when the device contacts our Monitoring Center for the first time after the theft. Information received from this and any subsequent connections is being reviewed for evidence. At this time, there is not sufficient evidence to pursue investigation with law enforcement. You will be notified when this status changes.
Monitoring: Awaiting Further Device Contact
Your device has stopped contacting our Monitoring Center for an extended period of time. Your theft report remains open and is monitored for changes.
We are automatically notified if the device contacts our Monitoring Center again.
Monitoring: Police Unable to Pursue
Our efforts to initiate an investigation with law enforcement have met with restrictions in the pursuit of the recovery. This status is only used if it appears that there will be a lengthy delay in law enforcement efforts. Your theft report remains open and the situation is reviewed regularly. When law enforcement can be re-engaged, the status may be set back to Under Investigation, depending upon the frequency of device connections and the quality of data retrieved.
Closed: Retrieved - Not Stolen
Theft Report has been closed because the device was not actually stolen and has been located with the assistance of our team.
Theft Report has been closed because the device has been recovered and our software and services contributed to the device's recovery. The device is now (or will soon be) in your possession.
Closed: Jurisdictional Restrictions
Theft report has been closed because your device was reported stolen in one country but was moved to a different country where cross-jurisdictional law enforcement cooperation was not possible, although your device was monitored for at least one year to pursue any opportunity for collaboration Jurisdictional Restrictions between law enforcement agencies across country borders.
Closed: Recovery Efforts Unsuccessful
Theft Report has been closed because recovery efforts have been unsuccessful over the course of at least one year from the date the theft was
reported to us. This can be attributed to:
- Insufficient evidence (for example, no records from an Internet Service Provider)
- Unsuccessful searchers
- Suspension of the case by law enforcement
- Other challenges related to obtaining actionable evidence and the overall involvement of law enforcement.
Closed: Insufficient Device Contact
Theft Report has been closed because the device has contacted our Monitoring Center 3 times or less in the year since the theft was reported to us. In
such situations, we have insufficient evidence to assist law enforcement in recovering the device. The device may have been connected to the Internet
only once or twice to determine if it was working, after which:
- The device was simply destroyed or dismantled for parts
- The device was used without ever connecting it to the Internet.
- The hard drive was swapped or reformatted. On many modern models from large manufacturers, our software is embedded in the BIOS and will
reinstall itself after the hard drive is swapped or reformatted. However, if the agent software is NOT embedded in the BIOS, the agent software
may not survive reformatting of the hard drive and the device will be unable to contact the Monitoring Center.
Closed: Machine Outside Jurisdiction
Theft Report has been closed because the device is contacting our Monitoring Center from a different country than the country of theft, and regional law enforcement restrictions prevent recovery of the device. We will pursue collaboration opportunities between law enforcement agencies wherever possible.
Closed: Unrecoverable Territory
Theft Report has been closed because the device was stolen and/or is located in a country which prevents its recovery, for any of the following reasons:
- The culture, customs and actual governance are not aligned with the rule of law in general, and laws concerning property theft in particular,
- The governmental resources are insufficient to enforce the laws,
- The infrastructure of the region or country impedes transmission of the data required for tracking and recovery purposes,
- Tracking and investigating activities are prohibited by the laws of that region or country, and
- In the case of the device moving between multiple jurisdictions, those jurisdictions may have policing bodies that do not collaborate in the enforcement of their respective property laws.
In these situations we monitor the Theft Report for a minimum of one year for any changes that may enable us to pursue the recovery.
Closed: Civil Case
Theft Report has been closed because the outcome involves legal issues between individuals or organizations in situations other than criminal matters, sometimes involving family law disputes. We cannot work with law enforcement to pursue an assisted recovery as they are not authorized to act on civil matters. Civil cases usually involve private property rights such as lawsuits involving breach of contract, probate or divorce.
Closed: Incomplete Theft Report
Theft Report has been closed because critical information needed to pursue an investigation is missing and several attempts to receive this information from you have been unsuccessful.
Closed: Software not Installed
Theft Report has been closed because our software was never completely installed and activated on the device. Therefore, no recovery is possible. It is
not possible to install and activate the software once the device is no longer in your possession.
Note: If you have additional devices with our software, please refer to the information provided with the software subscription or contact Global
Support to be sure these devices are activated. Full contact details can be found at: http://www.absolute.com/support.
Closed: No Post Theft Contact
Theft Report has been closed because the device did not contact our Monitoring Center after the theft was reported to us, although the device was
monitored for at least one year.
Here are some reasons why a device may never contact our Monitoring Center:
- It was destroyed or dismantled for parts.
- The device was be used without ever connecting it to the Internet.
- The hard drive was swapped or reformatted. On many modern machines from large OEM manufacturers, our software is embedded in the BIOS and will reinstall itself after the hard drive is swapped or reformatted. However, if the agent software is NOT embedded in the BIOS, the agent software may not survive reformatting of the hard drive and the device will be unable to contact the Monitoring Center.
Closed: Perpetual deleted Deployed by Customer
Theft Report has been closed because you have requested a perpetual data delete operation, which renders the device unusable and prevents it from
contacting our Monitoring Center. No device recovery is possible.
Closed: Customer Requested Closure
Theft Report has been closed upon your request.
Closed: Police Recovered
Theft Report has been closed because we have received an update from you or from law enforcement informing us that the device has been recovered. Used when our software and/or services have not contributed to the outcome. For example, law enforcement have located the device and returned it to you before the device contacted our Monitoring Center.
Theft Report has been closed because we received more than one theft report for the same device.
Theft Report has been closed because the wrong device was reported stolen, the device has been found (was lost, not stolen), or the Theft Report was for evaluation purposes only.